Posts Tagged ‘Quiznos’
To say I was shocked to see that my local Quiznos is closing puts it mildly. First, some perspective. I moved into the area at the tail end of 2005 and for the first few months there were only a handful of sandwich shop options, most of which were very inconvenient to get to or get out of (hello, Route 46). Then a few months later, a Quiznos opened in the small shopping center where I hit up the videogame store, the Dollar Tree, and the liquor shop. It was perfect, right on the way home from work. And so I went to them and ate a lot of sandwichs and drew a bunch of comics about my adventures there. Let’s take a stroll down Memory Lane…
- Eating a sandwich right next to the employee that made it was a bit awkward, but I got over it. Also, I forgot to color the wheat bread in the second panel. Whoops!
- I was once informed I had the chance to win a million bucks; it never happened.
- On this day, I discovered exactly how much of a loser I was and just how often I came into this Quiznos.
- Yet I kept coming back.
- And it’s good I did because I got to witness a teenager getting fired. Always a fun time!
- But nothing beats hearing Regina Spektor over the radio and getting lost in the moment.
- And, of course, we can’t forget the most recent event where a girl threatened to kill herself if she had to make one more tuna sandwich (spoiler: she didn’t).
Whew. I’m sure there’s other comics I’ve missed, but I don’t have time to go back through the archives. Let me know if I missed any good ones.
In closing, I am sad. Whatever sandwich shop becomes my new home will always remind me of that Seinfeld episode where George had to eat at Reggie’s diner instead of Monk’s Cafe. Sigh.
Local Quiznos, you have graced my life more than you will ever know. Thanks for everything!
Crazy how it feels tonight
Crazy how you make it all all right, love
You crush me with the things you do
I do for you anything too
Sitting, smoking, feeling high
In this moment it feels so right
– “Crush” by Dave Matthews Band
Attention! Attention! All sandwich shops! You’re going to want to stock up on tuna for the next several Fridays until Lent is over. It is going to be a popular item. That is all.
Also, I walked by the Quiznos today and saw the same girl working so I guess she didn’t end it after all. The weight upon my soul has lifted…
So here I am above palm trees
So straight and tall
You are smaller, getting smaller
But I still see you
– “Goodbye Sky Harbor” by Jimmy Eat World
Welcome to June, everybody!
Quiznos should be really thankful that I did not rob them. Or eat their entire stash of side pickles. One of those options. Regardless, I had run of the store for a whole ten minutes and all I did was sway and listen to a string of profanities being sung outside about how the world sucks and managers are all just a bunch of Satanists. Ah, to be young again!
Question of the day: Have you ever been fired from a job before?
Me? Nope. Never have had to go through that process. Hope I never will as it doesn’t seem fun…
In writing news, Sporty Spec: Games of the Fantastic, which contains my futurepunk horseracing tale of woe “The Sport of Kings,” received a nice (though succinct) writeup from the Midwest Book Review. It recommends the anthology for community library collections, which is great news indeed! Go, sporty book, go!
Life is but a memory, happened long ago
Theater full of sadness, for a long forgotten show
Seems so easy, just to let it go on by
Till you stop and wonder, why you never wondered why
– “Fruit Tree” by Nick Drake