To say I was shocked to see that my local Quiznos is closing puts it mildly. First, some perspective. I moved into the area at the tail end of 2005 and for the first few months there were only a handful of sandwich shop options, most of which were very inconvenient to get to or get out of (hello, Route 46). Then a few months later, a Quiznos opened in the small shopping center where I hit up the videogame store, the Dollar Tree, and the liquor shop. It was perfect, right on the way home from work. And so I went to them and ate a lot of sandwichs and drew a bunch of comics about my adventures there. Let’s take a stroll down Memory Lane…
- Eating a sandwich right next to the employee that made it was a bit awkward, but I got over it. Also, I forgot to color the wheat bread in the second panel. Whoops!
- I was once informed I had the chance to win a million bucks; it never happened.
- On this day, I discovered exactly how much of a loser I was and just how often I came into this Quiznos.
- Yet I kept coming back.
- And it’s good I did because I got to witness a teenager getting fired. Always a fun time!
- But nothing beats hearing Regina Spektor over the radio and getting lost in the moment.
- And, of course, we can’t forget the most recent event where a girl threatened to kill herself if she had to make one more tuna sandwich (spoiler: she didn’t).
Whew. I’m sure there’s other comics I’ve missed, but I don’t have time to go back through the archives. Let me know if I missed any good ones.
In closing, I am sad. Whatever sandwich shop becomes my new home will always remind me of that Seinfeld episode where George had to eat at Reggie’s diner instead of Monk’s Cafe. Sigh.
Local Quiznos, you have graced my life more than you will ever know. Thanks for everything!
Crazy how it feels tonight
Crazy how you make it all all right, love
You crush me with the things you do
I do for you anything too
Sitting, smoking, feeling high
In this moment it feels so right
- “Crush” by Dave Matthews Band